Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Women who had abortions against abortions.

The next group I have decided to focus on is one that I find the most interesting. It is a group made up of mostly women, and some men who have all been affected in some way by either there own abortions or a loved ones abortion. I think that by having a group formed by women who have been through an abortion the effect on potential supporters is vastly greater then other groups. They do not hold up disturbing graphic signs, instead they tell their stories, and hold up signs saying I regret my abortion. This group seems less like a hardcore protesting group and more like a safe zone for people who feel they have been hurt by abortions. After listening to many of their stories it reinforces the idea that their protests are more like a healing process for themselves then a place to change peoples minds. I don’t see this group as one that is going to single handedly changed laws about abortion but I do think it is an effective and good place for women and families to feel welcome in. This group is much easier for me to understand then Missionaries to the preborn, because they are not holding up graphic signs, they are merely venting about how their decisions changed their lives. They participate in many marches in Washington D.C. sharing their stories on the steps of Supreme Court. They believe that their testimonials about exercising their legal right to get an abortion will turn the law around. By saying that legal abortions tricked them into a horrible mistake they hope to change the law. I can understand their pain from the way they tell the stories, and I understand the hurt that they feel from making such a hard decision, but I do not believe that their emotional testimonials will change a law. I believe that this group will continue to grow, and accumulate supporters because of its inviting and accepting stance. Even though I don’t agree with the fact that these women are upset with their abortions, I do understand the guilt they feel, it is almost like the opposite of post-partum depression, instead of not wanting to see or hold their baby, all they want is to take back their mistake. I am beginning to understand that this group is not trying to tell manipulate people’s views, but instead just trying to create a space where women who are emotionally fragile can go and speak out about how they feel. I never thought I would actually be saying this since I have always been so stubborn in my dislike of pro-lifers, but whether these women stories are a bit extreme or slightly delusional in my view, I cannot dislike this group or condone them for what they are trying to do. Even if I don’t believe in their message I don’t want to try to stop them because they are a group who is approaching this controversial subject with experience and well-articulated opinions. I hope that they are not able to overturn any laws, but I am learning to value the opinions they hold.

Reference: 2009, The silence no more awarness campaign, http://www.silentnomoreawareness.org/index.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment