Friday, December 11, 2009

Alan Keyes

For my next blog I am going to focus on Alan Keyes, an man who runs a movement called loyal to liberty. I chose to research him because he has actually run for both the presidency and the senate against Barack Obama. I believe that his reasoning for his views much like Judie Brown is based off of religion. Throughout an interview with him on Fox news, he repeatedly talks about Jesus Christ and how Barack Obama is against Jesus Christ. While his views are based off of religion, his argument for pro-life seems to have one target in particular. Over and Over again Keyes chooses to attack Obama, Many of his attacks are directed right at Obama, claiming that Obama supports abortions where the child survives but is left for dead. While these accusations seem absolutely insane to me, I can understand where Keyes is coming from. If I thought that Obama was in support of this, I to would protest and campaign like Keyes is doing. While I support abortion I do not support torturing the child like Keyes is claiming happens sometimes. I believe that while Keyes is an extreme activist, I to would try my hardest to get my voice out there if I had proof about bad abortions. I am beginning to understand that while I don’t share the same views, I would be taking the same actions as these leaders are. I have begun to look past what I think is ludicrous and have begun to understand that they too believe that their ideas are the truth. I came into this blog so sure that everything these pro-lifers said would be lies and that they would be saying it just to manipulate people, but I have come out of it realizing that while I will never accept there views, they are not trying to intentionally hurt others. Like pro-choice people these pro-lifers that I have found believe that what they are saying is the god given truth, and so why should we stop them from saying it. I really wish I had been able to go to a rally or something, because I feel like I am just starting to break through the ideology of these groups, but it would be complete if I were to be able to actually immerse myself in the groups. I know it would be intense culture shock but I think that by talking one on one with people and asking all the questions I have built up in my head I would learn so much about why the pro-life movement is around. Although I can’t change that now, I am just glad that I was able to finally look past my own preconceived stereotypes and look at these leaders and groups as real human beings who should be treated with just as much respect as pro-choice movements. I cannot say that this blog has changed my opinion on abortion but it definitely has opened many doors into a world that I could not understand.

Sources:

9-6-09, The Embassy: Keyes and Obama, http://loyaltoliberty.com/

Alan Keyes Loyal to Liberty Tier 1- Personhood now, http://prolifeprofiles.com/keyes

Alan Keyes on Obama's support for infanticide, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNbp2-Tm9z4&feature=player_embedded#, Fox News.

No comments:

Post a Comment